Brooks Camp Field Report, July 2023: Holly Gets the Last Word


Bear 435 Holly at Brooks Camp, Katmai National Park

                                                                            Holly                                                                                  (Photo by Lynne Lewis)



    Of all my seasons at Brooks, this one has proven to be the most difficult to describe.  In part that's because it was structured in a different way from most, in three relatively short parts that ended at the time that the season would normally just be getting under way for me.  Also, it was my last one, and I knew from the start that it would be.  And finally because, while I was still patrolling, the focus had shifted from looking for and dealing with bears to helping to train the next generation of Brooks bear techs.  Rather, two of the three tours were focused on training, while the stint in the middle involved me keeping an eye on camp as the sole bear tech while the rest of the team did some training on the Katmai coast (where the bears are more plentiful in June).

    Not that we didn't have some exciting moments with the bears in camp.  We did, and I'll get into that a little further on.  But mostly my focus was on trying to pass along some of the things I've learned about the bears of Brooks River, and the strange world of having to argue with them.  Fortunately for me (and it's hard to overstate how fortunate I felt) the new crew were motivated and quick learners.

    Beyond a few nuts and bolts matters (basic radio procedures, the fundamentals of drawing and deploying bear spray, etc.), bear management is a difficult thing to try to teach, in part because it is so hard to codify.  I will try to explain why:  In the minds of bears, what mom did and did not do when they were young weighs very heavily.  Nonetheless they are (of course) smart and curious goofballs, and there is no telling what weird stuff they will come up with. On top of this we must throw in a big bunch of humans wandering willy nilly around camp and environs, 80% of whom lose 90% of what common sense they might otherwise have whenever a sow with cubs is nearby (and if bears are in short supply, they will lose that potential common sense when any bear is nearby).  And on top of that, many of the things that bear management has to do (e.g. treating defensive bears like they are predatory/dominating bears) are the direct opposite of what is the right thing in terms of bear safety.  So how do you train someone for something like this?

    Mostly, I told stories as we patrolled camp.  At this point there's hardly a place in camp where I have not had to argue with a bear or otherwise had some bizarre, dangerous, bear-centered occurrence take place.  In many  places it's many dozens of times.  Camp feels almost haunted to me now with all those memories residing in all those spots, all the more so given that there are so many that most of them blend into each other.  And indeed this was one of the biggest challenges for me, pulling a narrative that is coherent enough to be useful out of the brown, furry blur in the back of my brain.  Fortunately, there were enough occasions that were simultaneously simple enough and extreme enough--and still clear enough in my mind--that I was able to make use of them.  Nonetheless, I always had a feeling of frustration that there were so many more that I could have dug up and made good use of, were the memories not so hopelessly intertwined. 

    Mostly I wanted to impart a sense of just how bizarre bear management can be, and how much one needs to think situationally, that is, to the extent that one has time to think at all.  In the early morning and late evening you may be able to deal with bears in a somewhat straightforward way, but in the middle of the day when camp is always full of people, and not infrequently has multiple bears scattered in and around it, the situation is often much more complex.  This is further exacerbated by it often having been, say, several minutes since you heard over the radio where that other bear by the lodge bathhouse was heading, and the bear you are currently chasing out of camp has decided to run in that very direction.  And there are matters like figuring out how to deal with a group of visitors who are currently in the process of surrounding a sow and cubs on the beach, and deal with it in a way that doesn't end up stressing the bear family even more.

    Of course there were no stock answers I could provide.  My main intent was to stimulate thinking, and to impress on them that an optimal solution was often, if not mostly, going to be an unaffordable luxury, especially when a scary/stupid drama is unfolding all too rapidly before their eyes.

    While there were bears around during all my time at camp this year, on the whole they were late in returning to the river, and I wasn't able to get in much time working with real bears in real time with the new crew.  Fortunately things picked up the last few days, and I was at least able to demonstrate a few important points and, best of all, see that Brooks has a genuinely excellent team for 2023.  It simultaneously made it both easier to say goodbye, since I knew camp was in good hands, and harder in that I so wanted to do more bear wrangling with that bunch.  Even though I am aware that there is a sense in which the need for bear management is unfortunate, and that the dangers are very real, words cannot describe how much I love bear wrangling with a motivated, able, and fun loving team.

    910 was the only bear that gave us any serious pushback during the times that I was on duty.  As is her style since she left cub-hood behind (she was a problem even then, but in a different way), her pugnacity was expressed with a nonchalance worthy of Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier.  In that way her style is the direct opposite of the flamboyantly emo aggression which 284 often expresses toward bear management.

    910 performed her understated aggression on me on two occasions, roughly ten minutes apart.  The first was in the high grass at the edge of camp at Overlook, the other was at the edge of camp between the leach field and Cultural Trail.  In both of those instances she walked toward me with the intent of entering camp and with absolute confidence (at least outwardly) that I would step aside and let her pass, in spite of my all my yelling, not to mention the canister of bear spray aimed directly at her nostrils from only a few yards away.  In both instances she casually turned aside and moved away from camp only a second or so before I sprayed.  As always she made it look like this was her intent all along and without ever betraying any acknowledgement of my mere existence.  Her two understudies (one being her own cub and the other her adopted niece) followed, no doubt looking forward to someday antagonizing bear management on their own.

    For bears and bear techs, the tradition lives.

    My last day on duty was a late shift, working with Anna Crosby and ending at 10:30 pm.  It was intense enough in terms of bear activity and wonderful moments with friends that it went by much too quickly, and was too much for me to hope to describe here.

    My last bear was called out by Cory Cravata, and I found it standing between the lodge office and the bridge gate, looking somewhat bemused by camp and the people standing not far away on the dining hall porch.  It was a adult male, with all the qualities that made it obvious that it was an adult male but not so blocky yet to be a "fishes the base of the falls"dominant type.

    I walked toward him and, about five yards out, snapped my fingers while pointing toward the edge of camp behind him.  Immediately, but without hurry, he turned in that direction and left.  

    Hazings are by no means always like that, but it sure is nice when they are.

    Did I get lucky or was I in the zone?  It was some of both. I actually was feeling in the zone at the time, given the alchemical mixture of bear action combined with the deeply positive conversations with friends I'd imbibed that evening.  And with bear management, as with sports and music and relationships and many other things in life, when you are dialed in, surprising things happen.  On the other hand, I'm all but certain that this bear was not used to camp, but had experienced humans previously to some extent.  Especially for younger adult males, this is a combination that can make for straightforward hazing.  

In any case, it was a perfect one to end on.

***

    I left camp in the late afternoon two days later, taking a Park Service landing craft to Lake Camp where Susan met me to drive me home to King Salmon.  As I waited on the boat with a couple of friends, just a few minutes before we set off from Brooks Camp, Holly dropped down to the beach by the visitor center.

    As many of you know, Holly is my favorite Brooks bear, and has been since I've known the bears well enough to meaningfully have a favorite.  Having stated some of my reasons for her being my favorite bear in these field reports, as well as to countless people in person, and in other venues, I won't do so here.  But I have to note that I was telling my friend just moments before about her Most Favored Bear status in my heart.

    I had seen her a couple of times during the week, but had not entertained the slightest hope that I would see her one last time before departing.  But there she was, coming along the beach toward us.  I watched as she walked by, with me occasionally uttering single-syllable notes of astonishment.

    After passing us she made a gentle left turn, headed into the trees, and vanished from sight.



















 






Comments

  1. Please consider a book, Carl; you have so many unique experiences at Brooks to share, and you have a gift of communicating in such a way that the tales of bears come to life for others. I will watch Amazon and the Conservancy regularly in the hope that you will make a lot of Brooks bear lovers very happy. Hope you and Susan will land in a happy place. Thank you, barmail50@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to hear that you've enjoyed the posts. My hope is that Michael Saxton will be the one to write a book, but if a couple of decades have gone by and he still hasn't done so, I may yet dust off all my field notebooks and have a go at it. There is so much more from the last decade that needs to be recorded.

      Delete
  2. Your experiences and insights are so unique that they leave the rest of us mere mortals gaping. I’m so glad for the serendipity that led Holly to join in your farewell. Your writing is wonderful, and I think your soul probably is, too. Blessings to you in your new adventures.
    Godspeed,
    A Grateful Fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly walking past really was amazing to me, something I will never forget. Thank you for your kind words about my writing. As for my soul, well, I'm afraid that wonderful is more of an aspiration than a reality, but it is an aspiration.

      Delete
  3. I arrived to volunteer shortly after you left - I’m sorry I missed you. I hope you’ll consider writing more about your experiences; I can’t get enough!
    I hope you and Susan enjoy your new home!
    Ginny Freese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed you too Ginny! I'm very happy to hear that you've enjoyed the blog, and I hope you had a great tour at Brooks. The team at camp and Holly all conspired to make it hard to add another post to the blog without it seeming like an anticlimax (at least for me). It's not that I have any shortage of crazy bear experiences left. But they either rely too much on fine details to be interesting (like the various running battles that Eric and I had with subadult gangs). Or they were so complex and sprawled all over camp that it would take the creation of multiple maps and the existence of better notes than I have (as with various times we have had six to a dozen bears running around camp at once). Or they are just too mixed into the brown furry blur that constitutes most of my Brooks memories.

      There is one exception, though, now that you have gotten me thinking. It involves 284 and her cubs in 2017. I still want Holly to have the last word regarding blog posts, but I will try to add it as a reply to your comment at some point. Susan and I are still in the middle of the moving process as I right this, but hopefully I can get to it before long.

      Thanks for being in touch!

      Delete
    2. Here's the one other story that I think I can adequately describe in writing:

      As mentioned previously, this took place during in 2017, my first tour at Brooks Camp as a bear tech, having spent the three previous seasons working in various other capacities. It took place by the trading post in camp. For those who have not been to Brooks, I've pasted a link below that gives some idea of the trading post and where it is located, since some details of the area are important to what took place:

      https://tripstipsandtees.com/2023/09/02/bear-ly-believable-finds-the-brooks-lodge-gift-shop/

      If you look on the map on the link, you will see that the old trail from the river to camp splits into a Y just south of the trading post.

      2017 was without question the busiest year for bears in camp that I experienced, even though the population of bears on the river was considerably higher during my last seasons at camp (2021-23). This was because the water levels on the river were exceptionally low in 2017, which tends to move the bears downriver from the falls. More bears downriver means more bears plying their trade near camp, which means more bears coming into camp. That's a bit simplified, but it's sufficient for now.

      In practice what this meant was that bears were coming up the trail and along the beach to camp in a way I have never seen anything close to since. This made it necessary for bear management to have an almost constant presence on the mound that straddles the split in the trail just below the trading post. We were there to stop bears from entering camp by way of the trail coming from the river, and also from coming up the trail by trading post that leads to the beach.

      At the time of the incident I was working that bear checkpoint, trying to intercept bears that were coming toward camp along the trail from the river and send them down to the beach, and trying to send bears coming from the beach back toward the beach or down to the river. I was almost always successful, but when I saw 284 and her two yearling coming up the trail from the river I knew I was going to have my hands full, for reasons I've described many times in this blog.

      At the time there were a dozen or so visitors on the mound between the trails, who had been brought there by an Interp ranger in order to keep proper distance from 284 and cubs as approached camp. Also, there was a group of visitors by the wader shack on the opposite side of the trail that went past the west (upriver) side of the trading post. They were donning their waders for an excursion on the river, and pointedly ignored my instructions to get inside the shack before 284 and family arrived.

      I positioned myself at the very tip of the mound where the trail split and tried to haze 284 off. 284 was feeling brazen that day, even by her standards, and kept approaching without a moment's hesitation. Knowing what I do now, I would have sprayed her on the spot, since I have learned that being tolerant of that kind of behavior is not good for humans or bears when in the vicinity of camp. But at the time I was still more hesitant to spray. As it was, I backed up a bit to keep myself between the bear family and the visitors on the mound. 284 and cubs took the west trail between the group on the mound and the one by the wader shack.

      Seconds later I found myself in a position I did not expect. One of her yearlings (and keep in mind that her yearlings at this point were roughly a lean 150 lbs.) was growling angrily at me, canines bared about eight inches from my left knee. The other cub was close as hand as well, and similarly displeased with my existence. 284 was paused on the trail, her nose about four feet from me, staring intently to see what my next move was going to be.

      Delete
    3. I could hear and feel that the group behind me had gone from being casual to very tense and frightened, and the group of visitors by the wader shack had gone from being indifferent to to being in a blind panic and fleeing into the wader shack. While the bears paid no overt attention to this, by subtle clues they made it clear that they were aware of the general agitation (how could they not be?) and it only amplified their own agitation.

      My options weren't exactly stellar. I could spray the cub, and that would probably get her away from my knee, but then 284 would almost certainly rip into me, given the situation. (I have had to spray a yearling cub with her mom looking on and have suffered no consequences from it, but that was a very different mom under very different circumstances.) If I sprayed 284, the cub might well have taken a chunk out of my knee, and given 284's temperament and that she was close at hand and with her cubs nearby, I'm wasn't at all sure that it would stop her before she did some serious damage to me and perhaps others.

      The advantage of having few good options is that it makes decision making much simpler, and I ended up taking the only one available to me. I began talking to the bear family (and, secondarily, the people behind me) in slow, low, and soft tones. "It's alright. It's alright. Everything is going to be okay." Time was operating in a strange way for me, and I'm not sure how long this went on. Certainly it was no more than a minute. But 284 and cubs headed up the trail and away from us, and the people behind me calmed down as well.

      Did my actions really make a difference? I don't know. They clearly didn't hurt, and I strongly suspect that they helped at least somewhat. Experience has taught me that, without question, bears are far more sensitive to our emotional states than they care to show. So maybe it helped, even though the following years made it clear that the incident made no change in 284's attitude toward bear management, or in her propensity for raising feisty cubs.

      Delete
  4. What a treat to come back and find another story in the comments. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts